Useful Suggestions from the Trusted Experts at Tippet Richardson

Moving requires planning, a little strategy, and patience. Relocating out of the country, whether across the Canadian-U.S. border or across the globe, brings an entirely different set of details to work out. Stress levels quickly escalate if there is a pet involved. You want to do the best for your family, both human and the furry kind. Planning ahead helps eliminate the fear and frustration you may face during your move.

The professionals at Tippet Richardson understand that your pets are part of the family. For decades, we have coordinated international and cross-border moving with ease. We understand the process and paperwork needed to move you to your next adventure, including taking your beloved furry family member with you.

Suggestions to Make Your Cross-Border and International Move Simpler

Whether your move is to the United States, Australia, or South Korea, each country has a specific set of rules to follow. Your transition will be much smoother when you keep these suggestions in mind:

  1. Start Early: This cannot be stressed enough. The crossing between Canada and the United States does not require a quarantine period. Other countries may. The earlier you start investigating, the better chance that your dog or cat can reunite with you quickly.
  2. Investigate the Destination Country’s Rules: Contact the consulate of your destination country to discover what vaccination or quarantine restrictions apply. Check out their website and follow up with a call or email. For cross-border moving, here are a few things to keep in mind:
    • Travelling to the U.S.: The rules are pretty straightforward. A dog over the age of three months must have a rabies vaccine. Cats are not under the same restrictions. Depending on the state that you will be residing in, there may be more restrictions. Check out this handy guide to get started.
    • Travelling Back to Canada: Heading back home from the U.S. is pretty simple. If your cat or dog is less than 3 months in age, no documentation is required. If they are older, you will need a signed certificate from a veterinarian concerning their rabies vaccination. For more information, here is a guide we prepared to help.
  3. Check with the Transportation Carrier: If you are travelling by airline, railroad, bus, or boat, consult with the carrier on their pet policies.
  4. Work with a Well-Known and Dependable Moving Company: You do not have to figure everything out solo. An established moving company like Tippet Richardson knows the intricacies of international moving, even with pets. Whether across the border or across the world, we guide you every step of the way.

Hire the Team at Tippet Richardson for Your International Move

Breathe a sigh of relief when you work with a trusted company like Tippet Richardson. For over 90 years, our team has helped Canadian families relocate to the United States and around the globe. We customize our relocation services to make your move as smooth as possible. No move is too big, or too small.

Call Tippet Richardson at 416-292-4555 or toll-free at 1-800-718-7664 to learn more about our moving and relocation services, records management, downsizing assistance, and storage options.