Moving is a massive undertaking. Gathering boxes, packing your wares, and renting a truck is all part of the process. When you are doing so much yourself, it may seem that hiring a professional moving company could be an avoidable expense. Why spend good money when you can do it all yourself? That thought quickly disappears though, when you have to beg family and friends to give up their weekend to help you.
When you do make the decision to hire movers, you must be careful. Not every company is alike. Unfortunately, scammers and cheap but inferior quality providers are everywhere, even in the moving and storage market. Choosing the right moving company makes all the difference. Established professionals like Tippet Richardson deliver value for your money with efficient, safe and timely moving services. We help families move across town or the country with comprehensive services for storage and moving.
3 Reasons to Avoid the Cheap Movers
When every penny counts towards settling into your next location, you may be tempted to scrounge on moving costs. However, enlisting the services of the cheapest movers may jeopardize the safety of your belongings and cause unnecessary stress. Keep these red flags in mind when looking for a mover:
- Low-ball quotes or adjusting estimates to meet your budget: Some “cheap” moving companies bid a job 20-30% lower than other companies. Remember, you get what you pay for, so don’t focus only on price. As they say, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!
- Desperation: Do they seem too eager to get your business? Companies go into business to make money but being desperate may indicate that they cut corners. You do not want the movers to take shortcuts when transporting your treasured belongings.
- A BBB dropout: They have several complaints against them or are not part of the Better Business Bureau. Reviews can be your best precaution. Harness the power of the Internet. Check for reviews before hiring the first moving company in the phone book or online classifieds.
5 Characteristics of an Established Moving Company
Finding the best movers for your needs is vital to a successful relocation. Consider these qualities before you hire:
- Years of experience: Companies with a strong track record have been in business for a while. For example, Tippet Richardson has served Canadians since 1927.
- Estimates with no hidden fees: Everything should be clearly explained in writing, and your questions answered. The best companies leave no room for surprises.
- Understand the process of packing: Professional movers and packers of repute know how to box, pack, wrap and cushion your belongings to avoid damage.
- Use the right equipment: Two-wheeled and four-wheeled dollies, custom-built trucks, and hoisting straps are all tools needed for an efficient, safe move.
- Safe and secure storage facilities: You may need to store your belongings for a period between moving out of your current premises and settling into your new location. An established company provides different ways to keep your packaged items safe. Tippet Richardson’s storage facilities are secured 24-hours a day with electronic security systems.
Choose a Trusted Moving Company – Hire the Team at Tippet Richardson
Buy peace of mind when you enlist a trustworthy company like Tippet Richardson. For over 90 years, we have assisted Canadians moving across the country and globe. We customize our moving and relocation services to your needs. Enjoy timely service, qualified staff, and fair prices, no matter how many miles away your move takes you.
Call Tippet Richardson at 416-292-4555 or toll-free at 1-800-718-7664 to learn more about our moving and relocation services, records management, downsizing assistance, and storage options.